Every now and then, we all need a break from the hustle and bustle of the city, and if you don’t mind a few twists and turns along the way, there’s nothing better than enjoying a road trip to the near destinations! Meeting new people, driving along the outstanding coastal views, exploring Greek mythology through temples and ruins and seeing fairytale like seaport towns… These road trips can be a journey of a lifetime! We have listed best road-trip destinations around Athens that are easy to reach and will definitely give you the best memories of your life!
Athens – Sounio
If you do not want to spend so much time on the road, Cape Sounio is the best option for you! Since it is just an hour ride from Athens, Sounio is a quite popular weekend getaway destination for Athenians and people who come to visit Athens. The region has an important archaeological significance. It is home to the very popular Temple of Poseidon which was formed in 444 BC. Once you get there, the breathtaking view will touch you deeply. Give yourself a couple of minutes to fill your lungs with the air of history and the beautiful sea! If you plan your time accordingly, you will see one of the most picturesque sunsets in Greece! (You cannot believe how popular Cape Sounio sunset tours are).
All you have to do is head south when you are on Athens Coast and make most of your road trip with Athenian beaches along the road and many roadside view point areas. You can even jump into water and freshen up! After all you know what they say, it is not about the destination, it’s about the journey.
Distance: 69 km
Approximately: 1 Hour
What else to do there?
- We have already mentioned that watching the sea from the temple is amazing but what about actually being in the sea? If you are a sea and diving lover, Makronisos wreck is a great escape for the ones who want to lose themselves in the deep blue sea.
- After a long day of Cape Sounio tour, you can end your day at Sazerac cocktail bar for your favorite drink!
Athens – Delphi
One day trip to Delphi from Athens, is an all-time popular and it is quite easy to see why. Delphi, lying on the slopes of mount Parnassus, is recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in having had a phenomenal influence in the ancient world. Delphi was considered as the center of the world (it is quite difficult to claim the other way with its view). The oracle was thought to have existed since the dawn of time. People believed that it gave successful predictions and consultations. The temple of Apollo, the most important building in the sanctuary is where the offerings to the god were kept. The temple of Apollo is also a place where the cult rituals, including that of divination, took place. It is definitely the place to be!
Distance: 204 km
Approximately: 2 hours 30 minutes
What else to do there?
- Since you are already there, you can add more color to your trip by visiting the traditional village of Chrisso. The village is located in 6 km west of the site of Delphi. You can walk around the village’s cobblestone paved narrow streets. While having a drink to cool your heels, you can enjoy the outstanding neoclassical architecture of the village.
- If you are feeling adventurous, wandering in Corycian Cave and hiking to Mount Parnassus will give you unforgettable memories! The mountain offers a scenic view. If you go in the right season, you can enjoy the largest ski center in Greece.
As a former capital of Greece (between 1823 and 1834), Nafplio is one of the most romantic road trip destinations you can ever get in Greece. It is said that the city has derived its name from Nauplius, the son of Poseidon. With its narrow alleys, Venetian houses with the Bougainvillea trees adorning their walls, medieval castles and Ottoman fountains, a day trip from Athens to Nafplio will adorn you dreams. Don’t forget to climb up 1,000 steps to see the view from the Palamidi Castle. Have a delicious lunch at Syntagma Square where you can find many Greek tavernas.
If you want to dive deep into the sea you can drive along the breathtaking shoreline and stumble across beaches including Paralia Karathonas Beach, Neraki Beach or Arvanitia Beach. Being two hours away from the Greek capital, you can go to Nafplio by car, tour or by bus. While driving through northern Peloponnese, keep your eyes on the dreamy region.
Distance: 138 km
Approximately: 1 Hour 42 Minutes
What else to do there?
- On your way to Nafplio or back to Athens, you should definitely stop and enjoy the view of Corinth Canal.
- The best thing can happen in a hot summer day is nothing but a good quality ice cream! Antica Gelateria di Roma is the exact definition of good quality ice cream! They use only natural and local ingredients. Warning: They are all delicious, it will be really difficult to choose among various flavors.
You do not have time to plan a road trip? What about joining our “The Ultimate Roadtrip Adventure In Greece” and explore beautiful Peloponnese region of Greece? You enjoy the trip and leave the logistics to us!
Let us know what you think about those destinations and road trips in general! Have you tried them? Which is your favorite?